Oregano is a popular herb that is used in every Italian and Mexican dish. But if you have only heard about the taste benefits of the popular herb, it is the time that you hear other and important benefits as well.
Some background about the herb
Like sage, oregano is also a part of the mint family. If you take a look at the oregano plant, you would see tiny little leaves with the sharp aroma. Oregano leaves can be consumed in fresh or dried form. However, the dried form has much better flavor than the fresh herb. Oil of Oregano has been used for its amazing healing properties. Due to the existence chemical compounds like pinene, thymol, limonene, carvacrol, ocimene and caryophyllene, it not only enhances the flavors but can also be used in the preparation of various medicines.
Health Benefits of Oregano
Some of the popular health benefits of the herb are:-
- Oregano is a rich source of Iron, Vitamin A and Manganese. It also contains high levels of Vitamin K that helps in controlling cardiovascular diseases.
- It helps in the bone development and promotes proper clotting of blood.
- Oregano is a great herb for curing stomach related problems. Due to the presence of chemical compounds, it aids in gall bladder secretions. It also helps in treating indigestion and painful menstruation symptoms.
- Dry oregano can be used for the treatment of mild fever, cold or a cough and even influenza as well.
- Oregano is known to contain high levels of anti-oxidant properties, much higher than what is present in apples. Therefore, it helps in removing harmful free radicals in the body that are the main cause of serious health problems.
- Oregano herb has proven to be effective in treating skin problems, as well as controlling the aging process. Many modern age creams are made with oregano oil to prevent aging.
- It is also a rich source of dietary fibers that helps in controlling bad cholesterol levels to increase in the body and promotes HDL (good cholesterol).
- Iron presence in Oregano makes it helpful in the prevention of anemia.
- Oregano also acts as a muscle relaxant and have painkilling effects on aggravating allergies.
Hence, this medicinal herb has much more beneficial than just being used for culinary purposes.
Check our website HerbyOrganics.com for more details.
Write to me about how you liked this article, and express your opinion and likes at my Facebook page. Also, let me know what other food sources you would like to know about.
– DShare on: